741-acre Punderson State Park with its 150-acre natural lake, resort manor house, family cottages, golf course and scenic campground, provides many recreational opportunities for visitors. Punderson is also Ohio's premier winter sports park. Sledding, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing are all at their best.
Both the park and the lake take their names from Lemuel Punderson, a young enterprizing land agent who became Newbury Township's first permanent settler in 1808. Punderson constructed a small dam on the south side of the "big pond," as he called it, and used the outflowing water as the power source for a grist mill. The Punderson family developed a small estate on the edge of the sparkling blue lake, and their home became a popular gathering place for family and friends.
The area surrounding Punderson Lake developed into a quiet resort providing a get-away from the bustling Cleveland setting. Summer cottages and even a small hotel were built on the hills surrounding the lake. In 1929, construction began on the English-tudor manor house, but the facility was not completed until 1948. That year, the ODNR Division of Wildlife purchased the land and lake for hunting and fishing. In 1951, the area was transferred to the Division of Parks and Recreation for development as a state park. The manor house was completely remodeled and opened to the public on November 15, 1956. A structural renovation was completed in 1982.