One of the oldest parks in Saint Paul, Newell Park was dedicated in 1908. The park is named after Stanford Newell, attorney, member of the first Saint Paul Park Board, and U.S. Minister to the Netherlands from 1897 to 1906.
Park development began in 1927. The pavilion, which still stands today, was built in 1929. The park was a center of community activity throughout the 1930s and many large celebrations were held there. During the '70s and '80s the pavilion became a part-time recreation center. It is still the site of recreational activities, although the prime use of the building is as a picnic pavilion.
Newell Park is located at 900 N. Fairview Avenue, 55104, four blocks west of Snelling Avenue on Pierce Butler Route. With its rolling hills and old oak trees, this 10-acre plot is a great place to have a summer picnic, or to sit under a tree and read a book.
Newell Park is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media