Hecker, Frederich - A German Revolutionist who came to St. Louis in the forties. The memorial is a shaft of gray stone. On two sides are circular medallions with the dates 1848 in one, and 1961 in the other. There is a third medallion with a bronze portrait, in high relief, set in. The sculptor was G. Stubenraugh. On the opposite side is a bronze wreath of oak leaves. On four sides of the base of the shaft, above the medallions, are four torches carved in full relief in the stone, and above these are four stars in high relief. Ernest C. Janssen was the Architect, and the memorial was erected in 1882.
Fishing - 1 Lake - Stocked with fish 1 Reflecting pool 1 Comfort Station 1 Playground 1 Horseshoe court 2 Tennis courts (Lighted)
Benton Park's site was originally set aside for a city cemetery at the time of the sale of land in the old St. Louis Commons in 1836. It ceased to be used as such in the early 1860s, after the development of newer cemeteries in outlying locations. It was created by City Ordinance on June 25, 1866 after the founding of Bellefontaine and Calvary Cemeteries in North St. Louis made possible this transformation into a well-shaded and popular pleasure area.
One of the principal attractions is an artificial lake and rustic bridge. In its early history it was difficult to maintain a supply of water in this lake because of its proximity to "English Cave." The lake was then drained and all crevasses which had occasional leaks were filled with concrete. Boating on this lake was a popular summer pastime and in 1888, the park contained a greenhouse and extensive landscaping. In recent years, Benton Park has been completely remodeled and landscaped with the city's neighborhood rehabilitation funds derived from the sale of City property, as part of the Cherokee Pilot Rehabilitation Area.
The large playground is provided with new and modern equipment and an excellent storage and shelter building was erected overlooking the lake. Close to the southern entrance of the park is a granite obelisk monument to the memory of Colonel Friedrich Karl Franz Hecker.
Benton Park is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media