Avondale Park is one of Birmingham’s oldest and most beloved city parks. Long before it was a park, travelers along the Georgia Road would stop to enjoy the cool, sweet waters of King Spring, which bubbles up from the park’s center. The 40-acre site has been a park since 1887 and was home to the first zoo in the area. The park was renovated in 2011 and hosts ball fields, an amphitheater, a duck pond encircled with walking trails meeting ADA standards, a playground, picnic pavilion, and numerous benches for resting and enjoying the lively scenery. Avondale Library and the restored Avondale Villa, an event facility, are also located on the property. The steep slopes of the hill above the park host a forest and woodland, as well as ruins from the zoo. On most days, weather permitting, the park is a busy place, enjoyed by visitors of all ages and backgrounds. Immediately adjacent to the park is downtown Avondale, one of Birmingham’s up-and-coming entertainment districts.