The Historic Alsea Bay Bridge Interpretive Center in Waldport was constructed by the Oregon Department of Transportation as part of the bridge replacement project. It's operated by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department with help from the Waldport Chamber of Commerce.
Clamming and crabbing demonstrations are led by guides from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department during the summer months. Check out the events calendar for program days and times.
Winter hours for the Alsea Bay Bridge Interpretive Center are 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM, closed Sundays and Mondays.
Built in 1991 by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) as part of its new bridge construction project, this 4,700 square foot center is managed by OPRD. It was built to memorialize the original 1936 bridge, which was designed by renowned engineer Conde McCullough, and was one of 10 Oregon coast bridges he designed. It had to be demolished due to years of irreversible corrosion brought on by the Pacific coastal environment of rain, wind and salt. The bridge now serving Oregon Coast Highway 101 traffic replaced the original span in August 1991. Only the pylons, spires and some railing incorporated into the Alsea Bay Bridge north wayside remain from the old one, which was demolished on August 24, 1991. OPRD operates the center in cooperation with the Waldport Chamber of Commerce.